Tuesday 21 April 2009

Stephen David Heitkotter - Heitkotter (1971)


Ok, this is one of those records people like me dream about. An institutionalised ex-garage rock vocalist spilling his blues over loose, shambling jams that foreshadow Royal Trux 15 years early. Pressed as a single acetate copy with cryptic label scrawlings. You can hear the Thorazine in this, with the stumbling, ramshackle musicianship and production-free tape haze. Pretty much the furthest fringe of outsider music, and a bloody good listen!

The Acid Archives spake thusly:

"Intense real people/fringe LP popular among psych mafiosos, a 3-man band with guitar, bass and drums led by Steven David Heitkotter, presumably recorded inside the mental institution where the guy has been for decades. Track titles include "Hangin' All Night", "Quaker, Dog Got Away" and the 14-minute "Fly Over The Moon". The vibe is intense and feverish like a nightmare, unique LP that lives up to its reputation. This may have been a test press only and comes in a blank cover, except for the handwritten title. He was also in a garage band in the 1960s that released a few 45s. [PL]"


7 comments:

  1. Steve lived across the street from my grand parents. I remember one summer, (somewhere between 69-71) going to Steve's house with Ross D***** and recording songs for a couple of weeks. Steve used reels and reels of tape on his nice sounding Sony machine. After reading about him, I'm wondering if he took those recordings and made his record. I'd have to hear it. I could be that bass player. I doubt it was recorded at a Fresno County mental institution. If the person who recorded ever comes forward, I'd love to talk to them.

    2010 - Greg Youngman / GYMusic

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment above is incredible. That is what the internet is about. Thanks Greg for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if mr. youngman has listened to this yet...I'd love to have his suspicions confirmed or denied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am the bass player and sometimes guitar player. You can check my blog.

    http://gymusic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. could you reup this one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please keep me in the Steve loop. Never forgot him. Burned in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I briefly dated Steve when he was 16 years old. I was all of 14. I loved being at the foot of the stage watching him drum with the Roadrunners. We had fun together, he had the greatest smile. I was stunned to learn eventually how his life had evolved and I'm thrilled to learn that his songs, strange as they may seem to most of the world, have now been put on CD. I've recently ordered my copy.

    ReplyDelete