Saturday 18 April 2009

Semen of Satan/Evoked Doom


Uploaded this for Chris of Tenhornedbeast and his related blog, after a discussion of inept German metal (POISON). Semen of Satan are a band of legendary stature to me and about 6 other people, and it took me ages to even find mp3s of the demo.
I was expecting some inept, barely-audible proto-proto-black metal, so I was surprised at the amount of sheer ability on offer here. After a charmingly cheesy intro, we get a violent slab of proto-death doom crawl, which soon erupts into soloing that reminds me of vintage Pentagram. Listen through the tape hiss and you realise that this is actually an accomplished METAL band, rather than the quasi-noise I was expecting.
Semen of Satan later devolved into Evoked Doom, who are a lot closer to the sludgy hell I always search for. I'm pretty sure they use a drum machine, and seem a lot more chaotically-minded than Semen of Satan. Still, there's some great guitarwork buried in the slime, and the vocals are insane. If anyone can shed any further light on the history and circumstances of these bands, or has any recommendations for other 80s obscurities, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Semen Of Satan and Evoked Doom are completely different acts and had different band members. SOS was from Münster, Evoked Doom from Badem Würtemberg area. But both were cool obscure acts - thats common in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please re-up evoked doom

    ReplyDelete